The Gallery of Henri Beauchamp

Moderator: Mods

<<

probabilityZero

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:36 am

The Gallery of Henri Beauchamp

I have released a short Interactive Fiction game. You can play it inside your browser via a java applet, or download and play it with a z-machine interpreter.

The game is suitable for beginners, and shouldn't take more than a half hour to complete, including learning the commands. Players new to IF should spend some time reading the help (type "help") and consult the "hints" section when stuck.

Basic plot: You have a chance to see an exclusive exhibit of the lost works of artist Henri Beauchamp, but you must prove you’re a devotee of the art to get in.

The game is rather graphic at times, and is probably not appropriate for children.

I still consider it pseudo-beta, and it might have some bugs or typos that I've overlooked. If so, please tell me before I submit the game to a bunch of IF sites. Thoughts/advice/constructive criticism welcome.

Click here to jump right in and start playing.
Last edited by probabilityZero on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

echothesound

Must.. keep... posting!
Must.. keep... posting!

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 am

Re: The Gallery of Henri Beauchamp

Wow, cool, runs right in the browser. 8)

Congrats on this, zero. I've wanted to program a game before, and I've messed around with RPG makers and shit, trying to make really lame and basic games, but I've never gone through with it or actually programmed anything. It's nice to see you have the dedication to do this. From the look of this, it's pretty damn professional looking, and just from the front page I can tell you put your general awesome writing into it.

Ima start playing back then report back when I'm done.

EDIT:

I got the full ending, and I think I got all of the death sequences. The game was pretty good, but creepy as hell. Seriously, man, wtf @ the full ending  :shock:
Last edited by echothesound on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
breathe, echoing the sound
time starts slowing down
sink until I drown
please, I don't ever want to make it stop
<<

stevax

Sleep is for the weak
Sleep is for the weak

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:36 am

"The game is rather graphic at times, and is probably not appropriate for children."
is this sarcasm or just in case a fundamentalist christian plays? (ADMIN EDIT: well, I was just being honest. The game is pretty graphic, especially the poster and the complete ending)

overall quite good as a first attempt

Beta Test Notes:[spoiler]-The choice of wrong drink made it feel very much like a quiz game as you fail if wrong is picked and must start over. Nothing wrong with random negative effects just restarting was annoying even though it is on "Challenge" 1 ex: instead of hard alcohol instapoping you, instead maby black out, or even still die but it turns out a dream as you wake up in the bar again etc (ADMIN EDIT: there are subtle hints... try asking him about each drink before asking for it.)

-text often apears with skiped spaces so (open door) becomes (op en  d oo r) (ADMIN EDIT: That's the fault of the Java Applet. The downloaded version doesn't suffer from this problem.)

-Creative Suggestion: to expand this game, add a part that involves finding out about the gallery and the journey to the bar itself

I anticipate 1.01 in due time[/spoiler]
Last edited by probabilityZero on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

stevax

Sleep is for the weak
Sleep is for the weak

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:46 am

please stop your editing bullshit and just respont with a post and as well you took out the part i wrote under the spoiler if you think it was inappropriate just put it in a spoiler and mark as "not for children" or something, I must once again repeat:

I noticed the stickying and hope this is a serious project as that is taking advantage of admin position to put your post at top, but totally fin if its a serious project
(as well iv ctrl+c ed it this time if you change it again)
<<

probabilityZero

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:51 am

I didn't change your post at all, other than adding in my replies (in red). I don't see why that would upset you, but then again I can barely understand wtf you're saying most of the time.
<<

echothesound

Must.. keep... posting!
Must.. keep... posting!

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 am

Zero: Any news for the other game? Still working on it?

stevax wrote:please stop your editing bullshit and just respont with a post and as well you took out the part i wrote under the spoiler if you think it was inappropriate just put it in a spoiler and mark as "not for children" or something, I must once again repeat:

I noticed the stickying and hope this is a serious project as that is taking advantage of admin position to put your post at top, but totally fin if its a serious project
(as well iv ctrl+c ed it this time if you change it again)

What? Seriously, write like a normal person.

From what I can tell, you're mad because zero edited your post... he put all his edited-in text in red, and all he did was clarify what you wrote. He didn't take out the part you wrote under the spoiler, because I saw your post before and after. All he changed was to add the red text.
time starts slowing down
sink until I drown
<<

probabilityZero

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 am

echothesound wrote:Zero: Any news for the other game? Still working on it?
Yeah, still working on it. It's a bigger game, so it'll take a lot longer than a few days.
<<

theuser

Novice
Novice

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:01 am

Impressive! I like it.

I'm not a big fan of IF, but it was still fun. I played until I saw the paintings, but I didn't get all the points yet.
<<

RockKillsKid

Must.. keep... posting!
Must.. keep... posting!

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:38 am

While I was testing it 2 days ago, I ran into some issues using the DL'd ".z5" with Win Frotz where not all the text displayed. I asked probzero about it and he looked at it and it occasionally happened to him. Has this error where not all the informational text displays occurred for anybody else playing the full version through a 3rd party program?
Freedom is worth more than chains and shackles of even the most precious metals.
<<

probabilityZero

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 am

I think I fixed that problem. It'll be interesting to see if it happens to anyone here.

If you run into any bugs, be sure to mention whether you are using the java or the z-machine version, and where exactly the problem occurred.
<<

echothesound

Must.. keep... posting!
Must.. keep... posting!

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:06 pm

I've been playing the downloaded file with windows frotz 2002 and I haven't had that problem yet.
time starts slowing down
sink until I drown
<<

TehFluffz

Sleep is for the weak
Sleep is for the weak

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm

YES YOU ARE THE BEST TEXT GAME EVER
<<

stevax

Sleep is for the weak
Sleep is for the weak

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:17 am

so hows this coming along? dead?
<<

probabilityZero

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 am

Well, this game is complete. I'm working on another one.

Return to Play